Chicago SBMI offers the best Sleep Therapy treatment in the Chicago North and Northwest Suburbs. We offer treatment for a variety of conditions from loud snoring to sleep apnea. Dr. Golbin and his experienced team are leading the field in Sleep Therapy and Sleep Study, from diagnosis to treatment and long-term therapy.
Sleep is the foundation of our health. GOOD SLEEP is a HEALER. BAD SLEEP is a KILLER. Good sleep could help you fight a disease or bad mood. Sleep can completely change your entire outlook on life. Bad sleep might cause not just bad mood or bad thinking and decision making but also may cause bad disorders. Sleep is a very complicated process different in different ages and states. Almost all hormones are produced in sleep and affected by sleep. This includes such “strategic” hormones as thyroid, insulin, growth, sex hormones and cortisol. During several stages and phases of sleep, our metabolic processes are doing hard work, repairing, healing, deleting bad memories or creating dis-orders (out of order) deviations causing troubles. About 80 disorders started in sleep including stop breathing, diabetes, heart irregularities, seizures and even sudden death.
Sleep is part of the Sleep- Wake cycle called the “Circadian Rhythm”. Many daytime problems that we did not associate with sleep before are actually disorders of the circadian rhythm. Chronic fatigue, depression, ADHD, anger problems, obesity, headaches, teeth and even eye problems are frequently the consequences of the disordered sleep-wake cycle.
Disturbed sleep and some medical symptoms in sleep might indicate potentially life-threatening disorders. They could be prevented by an early Sleep Examination.
We provide the following sleep examinations procedures:
- Polysomnography (Sleep Study) – all night continued recording of multiple physiological parameters and many other measures of sleep.
- CPAP/BiPAP (Continuous or Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure) – for patients suffering from Sleep Apnea Syndrome and related breathing disorders.
- MSLT (Multiple Sleep Latency Test) – objective evaluations of the severity and causes of daytime sleepiness and disorders of alertness for patients with excessive fatigue, sleepiness, drowsy drivers, and narcolepsy.
Sleep Studies are performed on persons of all ages: adults, children and the elderly.
Indications for sleep evaluation:
- Loud snoring
- Stop breathing in sleep
- Midnight awakenings
- Night pain and headaches
- Terrible dreams
- Night terrors
- Restless legs (Charlie Horse)
- Violent behavior in sleep
- Bedwetting (Enuresis)
- Teeth-grinding (Bruxism)
- Head and body rocking
- Sleep-related chest pain
- Sleep-related heart arrhythmia
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Chronic fatigue
- Weight gain
- ADHD and ADD
- Memory, learning problems
- Bad habits
- Mood swings
- Self-destructive behaviors
- Self-esteem problems
- Post-traumatic Syndromes
- Pain Syndromes
- Metabolic disorders
- Nocturnal eating disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Inadequate sleep or irregular sleep habits could lead to heart problems, weight gain, stress and increase danger of car accidents. Sleep disorders have been linked to high blood pressure, gastrointestinal problems, and cluster headaches. Lack of sleep impairs performance on a wide variety of tasks; it can triple reaction time, cause memory loss, and vastly increase lapses in attention. Despite the epidemic proportions of sleep-related problems, most Americans remain undiagnosed and untreated. Early diagnosis and treatment are crucial in any sleep pathology.
Tell me how you sleep and I tell you who you are!